Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Weekend in Victoria Falls

I have not the slightest clue as to where I should start this blog. I have just experienced the most memorable weekend of my life. While my life consists of a mere 21 years and I have much to experience in the future, this weekend will as they say go down in history (the history of Shelby that is). I have decided to start at the end and then go back to the beginning. This may seem confusing, but just you wait. My logic behind this: my travels home were pretty much a disaster. In fear that it will seem as though my weekend was terrible, I am going start with the bad (and I use that word loosely) and end with the WONDERFUL AMAZING BEAUTIFUL MINDBLOWING BREATHTAKING MAGNFICENT weekend.

So, as I said the trip home was a disaster. For some reason or another, my friends thought it would be cool to take the train from Victoria Falls back to Botswana. I guess our thoughts went something along the lines of “It will be just like we are on the Hogwarts Express!” or my thinking “Oh it will be just like the part in White Christmas where Betty and Judy take the sleeper train to Vermont!” Well ladies and gentlemen WE WERE SO WRONG! Imagine if you will a train that Betty and Judy took. Right now take into account that train was in its prime in the 1950’s. Right. This train should be in the museum at this point. Attempting to paint a picture for you: The train was a tan-ish color, but the paint was peeling off. The cabin where six of us slept was half the size of a crappy dorm room. No electricity. Did I mention this was an overnight train? If we needed to use the toilet we had to walk down the hall side-step like, because it was that narrow. Upon reaching the so called toilet you had to avoid falling out of the train because 1. The two doors that flanked the toilet closet were broken. Therefore the doors would swing open as the train was moving. 2. I could also see the grounding moving between the space that led to the other cart. Basically, the odds were FOR me falling out of the train. Arriving in the toilet closet there was a hole. That hole was your toilet. If I so dared to look down the hole no doubt I would see the tracks. But remember night time, no electricity. The only reason I made it to the toilet in the first place thanks to a trusty head lamp that one of the girl’s father made her bring on the trip. Thank you, sir! You saved our lives. Captain Morgan was purchased before the train left and consumed in the first hour. Enough said. We were on the train for 15 hours…and I did not sleep the entire 15 hours. This only took us down to the southern part of Zimbabwe. There was another train that would take us across the border to Botswana, but not even a million dollars could get me on that train. I am not one to cry for my mommy, but I did that night while I froze my butt off in the train that should have been retired years ago. NEVER AGAIN! So current location: Mulawayo, Zimbabwe train station aka in the middle of NO WHERE! The entire train ride took being in the middle of nowhere to an entirely new level. My mind is working in over drive. No plans and no screaming idea what to do. But then, spotted – security. The security guard sent us off in a small mid80’sToyota corolla with a man we clearly did not know. Six girls on an adventure. We spent 2 hours trying to find a bus across the border and saw all there is to see of Mulawayo no doubt. In the end we opted for the combi that would take us to the border. From there we walked across the border. Funny thing is crossing the border was the easiest part of the entire trip, but still a pain in the butt. If I had to walk in another chemical puddle to prevent foot and mouth I might have screamed. Complete inconvenience, not to mention I am not even sure if it works. Seriously. I did a happy dance across the border. I was so excited to be out of Zimbabwe. From the border we caught another random combi that took us to Francistown. From Francistown we literally arrived just as the last bus to Gaborone was leaving. It was such a relief to finally be cut some slack, but sadly no time to use the bathroom or get food. Did I mention the entire trips consisted of bathroom breaks in the bush? That goes for the trip to Vic Falls too. Yeah... We took that bus to Gabs, and then got into an unmarked cab at the Stationing that took us to UB. Total travel time: 27 hours with absolutely no stops. I am experiencing a lot of emotions over this. I am first so stinkin’ proud of myself for enduring that. I am secondly feeling really, really stupid for getting on the train. Lastly, I am so thankful and appreciative of what I have. So I mentioned that I use the word bad loosely. While I am mad at myself for putting myself in danger and embarrassed at how ridiculous everything was, I think that I can honestly endure just about any kind of travel and situation you put me in now. I have always been one to plan ahead and to be in the situation I was in, I feel so incredibly proud of myself for successfully getting me and 5 others home safely (not all by myself, we all did help each other to an extent). While what I went through was terrifying, it made my weekend all that more adventurous. Thinking about it right now I am shaking my head with a side smile painted on my face. Small laugh (which is really just me blowing air out of my nose – gah my snorting) Wow, Shelby – you are insane.

Now, I take you back to the beginning. My adventure to one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls. I set up a bus and then a transfer through a company to get us across the border and to our hostel before we left. Everything ran fairly smoothly. I really enjoyed our hostel, Shoestrings Lodge, and would recommend it to any backpacker traveling to Vic Falls. We relaxed most of the afternoon, but then took a Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi River later that evening. Absolutely stunning. (I would link photos, but I have somehow managed to lock myself out of my flickr account). We got to see quite a bit of wildlife too: hippos, crocodiles, and an elephant. We had planned on staying up because our lodge is a bar until midnight, but we were exhausted and passed out. The next day I went to the Craft Market and was completely overwhelmed. I had never seen so many wooden masks, animals, bowls, spoons, etc. It was absurd. It covered an area the size of a football field. Later that afternoon I went on an elephant back safari. I have always been fascinated my elephants. They were my favorite animal at the zoo; ask my mom. She hated going to the zoo, and I would force her to stay and watch the elephants forever. So, naturally I have also wanted to ride one, however inhumane that is. I took comfort in knowing that except for the hour and half time they spend with those on the safari they freely roam the wildlife reserve. One the safari I saw lions, buffalo, and more elephants – all on the back of an elephant. Yay! After the safari, we got to sit with the elephant and feed them some snacks. I ended the day by staying up with all the people at Shoestrings until midnight, and then hitting up a local bar in the town after that. Stories for my girl friends later! So much dancing. So much happiness. My entire last day was spent at Victoria Falls. I wish there was some way to describe the beauty of them, but I am at a loss. It is truly stunning. They go on forever. My pictures were nothing compared to what I witnessed. This might be due to the excessive amounts of mist that never leaves you while you are there. I was so scared I ruined my camera. Luckily it is still working, but my pictures were terrible. I can blame the mist, but really I am just not a photographer. I eventually gave up and just looked and sat in awe. So many rainbows. So much water. I got to go right up to a cliff at one point, and I was so close to the Falls. I was drenched all the way through from head to toe and loved every second of it! I wanted to stay there forever. Nature is truly brilliant.

I am now completely and utterly broke. How I will survive once I get back to the States is seriously questionable. (L and M I hope you are ready for a permanent dinner guest. I will find a way to chip in somehow). However, I am fully submerged in an African attitude. I don’t even care anymore. It will work itself out somehow, right? It is interesting to compare myself now to myself pre-Africa. I went from ridiculously (emphasize ridiculously) high strung to being able to travel on a train in the middle of nowhere with no idea how to get from point B to point C until I actually got to point B. Amazing. Don’t get confused though. I am still extremely motivated, compassionate, and no doubt still a stresser (it’s just part of me –thanks Dad J ), but I am much more relaxed, and less up tight (I mean this figuratively. Physically, I am in dire need of a MAJOR back massage). The insanity of everything that I have undergone enriches my life only more. It is only with the hardship I have endured that I have fully come to experience the joy. With each passing day and each exciting adventure the thought of departing leaves me incredibly sad. Days are flying by, and I am still on Africa time.

No comments:

Post a Comment