Thursday, July 28, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I always underestimate just how hard it is to leave behind a part of my self. Whether it is a friend, a moment, an object, an experience, a vision I am not and never have been good at goodbyes. I was the kid who cried when her mom left her at summer camp even though it was only three days, but then when the time came to leave camp I wanted to stay. When I left for Botswana I did not experience the first phase. I had set myself up perfectly for leaving, and I only looked back once to sneak a teary smile at my mom from security. I was in every way ready for everything Botswana was going to throw at me and boy did it ever throw a mountain (or two or twenty) at me. To every combi driver, CIEE student, random friend on the street, new fiancĂ©, friends I will keep forever – Thank you. It is going to take every ounce of self-control I have to walk on to the plane today. (Luckily for all my friends and family waiting for me in the States, I have a lot of it) Every moment I have spent here in Botswana – the sad, the hard, the frustrating, the pure joy – has touched my heart. When I leave the airport in a few hours I will be leaving behind a piece of my heart. I hope that this is not goodbye, but only an “until next time.” XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment