Thursday, June 9, 2011

A General Early Overview

Taking into consideration I have only been here a few days and in a motel most of them here goes:

Weather:

So first of all it is technically winter. So what does that mean for Botswana? Research told me to expect 70’s during the day and 40’s at night. Since I am in the desert and rainy season is November to March, I was not expecting rain. Well as I mentioned previously – it poured! As for the temperature, it has been rather chilly. I know most people think HOT when talking about Africa, but they are sadly mistaken. It has been hitting 70 at the peak of the day and has gotten down to almost freezing the other night. It was also absurdly windy the other day which does not work out well in the desert. I was eating dirt and rubbing out dirt from my eyes all day – super fun! If you talk to the locals they are all dumbfounded by the weather. We’ve been experiencing abnormal weather for this time of year apparently. I’ve been wearing my Chaco sandals everywhere and a boy at the Pick and Pay (grocery store) tapped me on the shoulder while I was in line and asked if my feet were cold. I smiled and said no I have experienced much colder. He told me his feet were cold: note he was wearing tennis shoes! Walking around you hear Batswana talk about how cold it is, and I just laugh because honestly it is nothing. However, I would like it to warm up! I have yet to go a day without a cardigan.

Food:

Globalization at its finest here. WHERE IS THE LOCAL FOOD? I have yet to actually eat a real Setswana meal. So upsetting. I have picked up a few standards though. Cattle are one of the major industries here (tied with tourism and second to diamonds). Beef is what's for dinner, and lunch, oh and breakfast. Beef as a stew type thing is popular. Now there is debate about the orange stuff that I’ve been eating a lot as well. Some of the girls I am with guessed sweet potatoes at first – I wasn’t convinced. I asked a Motswana what it was, and she told me pumpkin. I’ve only had pumpkin pie and pumpkin seeds so it is hard for me to make the call, but I think it may actually be butternut squash. If it is butternut squash I’m sure my mom is laughing at this point. I used to gag every time my mom cooked butternut squash. Even with all of the butter and brown sugar she would put on it, I would still gag every time I was forced to have my “no thank you bite.” I have had it minus butter and brown sugar almost every night I have been here, and I haven’t gagged yet! Look at me. I also ate some delicious bread. I don’t know the technique or reason for its goodness, but it is fantastic. Beets were also part of the meal below. A big thing for lunch is meat pies. There is a little stand/building on campus where they sell these. I also ate snails for the first time, but I don’t think this is really part of Setswana culture. It was something different, so I went for it. Tasted like the butter and garlic sauce it was drenched in and that’s about it. Otherwise, I could have any type of food I want. We went for Indian two nights ago. It has all been good, but nothing has “wow”ed me. At this point I am a little disappointed by the food. Darn you globalization!



Snails


Meal (the purple stuff is beets drenched in vinegar)

Jelly Babies aka Gummy Bears


Living Arrangements:

We stayed at Oasis Motel for Orientation. It was nicer than what I was expecting. I am now in the dorms. I want to go in to more detail about living later, but click here to some more pictures from there as well as some from walking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment