Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Religion

I know that updates on living arrangements and environment and food and weather and all that jazz are things I should be updating you on, but I feel the need to blog about something that struck me today. I typically avoid topics such as this, but here goes.

We are in the midst of orientation, and various people from the area have come to talk to us. Today, two men from the Kings Foundation came to talk to us about a program they have going on in southern Africa. I was told that through this group I would be able to work with orphans on a volunteer basis. This is clearly right up my alley, and I was super excited to hear the details of it. Well y'all -- my resident director failed to mention this was a Christian based group. In a nutshell this is how the program works: They travel to local villages that are struggling with drugs, alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy etc. There, they organize sports games to play with the kids -- rugby, soccer, cricket, you name it. They provide these children with constructive activities and a place to feel safe as a community. So why am I in an uproar about this? After they play with the kids and get them all excited and genuinely happy about life in the midst of hardship, they sit them down and tell them about Jesus. Reel them in with fun games, and then preach to them about a man who died on a cross to save their sins. I couldn't help thinking this was a slight form of manipulation. Maybe I am over-reacting.

So yeah, I am lost in my faith right now you could say. I was baptized in the Episcopal Church and grew up in Catholic school, but once college hit I no longer saw a point in organized religion. I have felt a strong pull to practice Hinduism, but that's an another story in itself. I have a lot of feelings about organized religion that I am not going to get into, but one thing I truly struggle with are those that feel they need to force their beliefs upon you. Maybe, it's the strong independent woman in me that doesn't like people telling me how I am supposed to do things, but even so I think we should be able to form our own opinions on the way the world works. Let them know about Jesus, sure. Preach to them, no. And yes, there is a fine line.

Programs like this I am truly fascinated by from an International Development stand point (PS my major). Culture plays such a huge role in people's lives, and I cannot help but feel this is easily forgotten in development programs. Is this Foundation going to help communities across southern Africa by forcing "what they think is right" on people who have strong ties to culture? And on the flip side, can there be a move to a more stable environment with some sort of force opposing current culture?

I debated on posting this. I am by no means an expert on these things, but food for thought. In other news, it is POURING here. In the middle of the desert. POURING. Strange concept for me grasp. I move out of the motel we've been staying at during orientation and on to the dorms at the University of Botswana (UB) tomorrow. I am super excited. I promise updates on all things previously mentioned soon.

2 comments:

  1. Shelby,

    First of all, awesome that you're in Africa doing all of this! I had no idea!

    Second of all, awesome post and really interesting. I can't help but agree with you entirely.

    My thoughts tend to suggest that if you wish to "spread the good word" then it's best to do so through action, not preaching. If for some reason those you help feel that your faith had something to do with it and ask, how wonderful (and fair)!

    With so much hardship the world over, I can't help but feel time (money) could be better spent educating/treating/helping/simply embracing those under privileged in ways that could change lives far more drastically (or even ever so slightly).

    Have fun and be safe!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting insight and I'm glad you shared it. I'm sorry there was a religious focused because I know that was not what you were looking for but the opportunity for service is still there.

    As for the forcing religion. I never had religion forced upon me and I think that is the only reason my faith is what it is today... it really allowed to me to explore and develop my beliefs. I think that it's awesome these people are going into these villages and helping, but preaching their religion should never be the focus. Simply sharing with the people that they are a Christian then going about serving that community in whatever they can seems like a much better approach. Let their actions speak for themselves, then if somebody inquires they can share their beliefs. I was just talking with Beth the other day about how the bible and serving the lord is interpreted in so many ways and how everyone seems to use certain passages to support contradicting points. Probably one of the big reasons you're not the only one I know who questions or opposes organized religion.

    Enjoy your time and take it all in. I miss you like crazy! I just watched a beyonce concert on TV and was like where's shelby to dance it!

    p.s. I bet you're glad I pushed packing the rain jacket lol

    ReplyDelete